Sunday, October 19, 2014

NeverYear Games Week 8 - Where Did the Time Go?






Holy boatload of changes, Batman! This week was definitely the most productive to date, and I don't even know where to begin. I guess the biggest change would be that we have now dropped Death: The Game for good. The only project we're going to go forward with is We Love Nuclear Armageddon. Another major change is that we're exploring two ways we can take the game. The first is the arcade-style RTS game that we we've been going with for a while now, and the other is a turn-based version that we have thought of. Taking inspiration from Moonbase Commander, we want to go with timed turns where the player also has to control the objects they launch through a series of waypoints.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonbase_Commander

Something else that we've definitely established this week is that we have to stay away from the standard RTS game length. By "we've established", I mean "I've established." How, you ask? Because of Planetary Annihilation. There are so many cool things you can do in that game like have planet-destroying lasers or moon-moving engines, but the amount of standard, boring RTS dredge you have to muck through to get there makes it not worth it. I played a game for about an hour and a half and was bored mostly the entire time. To be fair, I haven't learned the game like other RTS games such as Supreme Commander 2 (wonderful game), but I still should not have been bored for so long. 

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/08/28/planetary-annihilation-launch-trailer-released/101272/
As I'm writing this I'm getting increasingly nervous, because tomorrow is our stage 1 challenge. While I feel that we're all prepared, you never really know what's going to happen. Whether we pass or not, whatever feedback we get will be massively helpful. For tonight, however, since my work is done, it's time to sit back with a cold beer and relax.

-John Cotto

No comments:

Post a Comment